FOBT Latest News Roundup

Expectations grow over action on gaming machines

The indications grow stronger that the government is set to take action on gaming machine stakes when it announces the results of the Triennial Review in October.

The Times newspaper last week reported that the Treasury had dropped objections to the maximum stake being reduced from £100.

It claimed prime minister Theresa May supported a cut and said the review would recommend a number of options including £100, the £2 demanded by campaigners and at least two figures in between.

A ‘senior government figure’ was quoted as saying: “We know that we have to do something and that to do nothing at all would be politically toxic. It’s now really a question of negotiating what the Treasury can really live with, instead of what they want.”

Read the full Betting Business Bulletin

MP Robertson issues warning over risk to racing from FOBT clampdown

The racing industry will be placed at risk if the government decides on a major reduction in FOBT stakes following its gambling review, according to Conservative MP Laurence Robertson.

In a rare example of political support for retail bookmakers, Robertson, whose Tewkesbury constituency includes Cheltenham racecourse, called on the government to take an evidence-based approach to its review.

Read the full story on RacingPost.com

Paddy Power Betfair chief’s call for £10 FOBT stake limit sparks war of words

Paddy Power Betfair have become the first major bookmaker to support a significant reduction in gaming machine stakes, calling for them to be reduced to £10 or less and sparking a war of words in the industry.

The company’s chief executive Breon Corcoran wrote to Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport minister Tracey Crouch this week to say the subject had become “toxic” to the industry and that lack of decisive action would lead to continuing uncertainty for the sector.

Read the full story on RacingPost.com

In industry’s hottest seat as the Fobt storm gathers

Bill Barber speaks to the Ladbrokes Coral chief executive

Mullen, who says he has “probably invested far too much of my thinking time to this”, feels the campaign against the machines is unfair.

He adds: “If we truly want to deal with problem gambling in this country then I think it’s shameful for certain bodies or individuals to use Fobts as the cause if they are genuinely interested in customers who have a problem with their gambling.

“Because the evidence is saying that is not the case.

“If there is a genuine concern for those individuals who suffer from a problem gambling addiction then we should be looking at it in the round because that is the only way that we can help those individuals.”

Read the full story on RacingPost.com

LATEST POSTS

Racing Post B2B launch new Sports API

Tuesday 18th September, 2018 – Racing Post B2B has launched its new Sports API, which provides handwritten, quality content on…

READ MORE
Ladbrokes roll out Racing Post tipster content in 217 stores across Ireland

DATE: 29/08/2018; Ladbrokes have become the first high street bookmaker to roll out the Racing Post tipster on early price…

READ MORE
Racing Post continues expansion with acquisition of ICS limited

Thursday 23rd August, 2018 – Racing Post is pleased to announce it has completed the acquisition of ICS Media Group, the leading…

READ MORE
Racing Post B2B continues to grow with two new appointments

The Racing Post B2B team continues to grow after recently confirming two new, key recruits. Focused on new business is former…

READ MORE